What Happens On Eating Silica Packets?
Silica gel is a drying agent that is commonly packaged as small glass beads or clear stone crystals in tiny paper or cloth sachets.

Silica gel is a drying agent that is commonly packaged as small glass beads or clear stone crystals in tiny paper or cloth sachets. These sachets are frequently packed with industrial products to protect them against moisture penetration. Silica gel packets are used in a variety of items, including food, clothes, and gadgets. Although silica gel is normally non-toxic, it can cause choking in little children. Because of the danger of swallowing, silica gel packages are typically warned "Do not ingest." If you are eager to know what happens on eating silica packets then this article has got you an answer.

What is Desiccant Silica Gel?

Silica Gel helps in keeping the products dry. Silica gel has microscopic particles that can capture massive quantities of water and is manufactured from silicon dioxide, a chemical naturally found in sands. As a result, desiccant silica gel sachets are placed in store-bought products that protect them from moisture degradation. Silica gel packets are frequently seen in the following items:  Apparel, gadgets, medicine or vitamin containers, and foods are just a few examples. 

Since poison control centers have observed a growth in the number of persons mistakenly ingesting silica gel packets, manufacturers frequently label them "Do not eat." The majority of cases involve small kids.

Is Silica Gel Harmful?

Silica gel is non-toxic, however, it can cause choking in little kids. Makers do coat silica gel in cobalt chloride, a harmful chemical substance, in some rare cases. The consumption of cobalt chloride-coated silica will almost certainly result in nausea and vomiting. When dry, cobalt chloride is bright blue, but when filled with water, it becomes pinkish. The usage of cobalt chloride-coated silica gel in consumer goods is uncommon.

What Happens On Eating Silica Gel Packets?

Children may confuse a packet for foodstuff, sweets, or a chew toy and consume the silica gel or the whole package. People may confuse silica gel packets for salt or sugar sachets on occasion. Molecularly, silica gel is inert. This implies it won't degrade and cause toxicity in the person. The gel or package, on the other hand, can induce choking since it won't start breaking down. That's why they're frequently labeled "Do not eat" or "Throw away after use" by makers.

You shouldn't get sick from eating silica gel. Most of the time, it will flow through your system and out without harming you. While silica gel is unlikely to hurt you, that doesn't mean you should eat a lot of it. The gel has no nutritional benefit and, if consumed in high amounts, can cause an upset tummy.

When Doctor Should Be Approached?

If your kid has ingested a silica gel package and has vomited multiple times or is unable to eat, get medical help right away. If your kid has severe abdominal pain or is unable to pass gas or stools, you must seek immediate medical help. These signs and symptoms may indicate that your infant has an upset tummy caused by the silica gel packs. If your pet has swallowed a silica gel packet, bring them to the vet if they aren't producing stool as you'd anticipate, vomit up any meal they eat, or have a distended stomach.

Summing Up 

While silica gel has some terrifying warnings on the packaging, it is not hazardous unless you consume a large amount of it. It's advisable to toss away the silica gel packs if you encounter them because they're a source of danger and have no nutritional value.

 

While worrying about accidentally consuming silica gel isn't fun, remember that it does occur and that you, your kid, or your animal will be fine. If you are looking for where to buy silica gel packets then Interteck packaging is one of the best platforms to approach. Visit their website now and get the best supply of moisture packets. 

 

https://interteckpackaging.com/